Friday, January 18, 2013

What's in YOUR Reading Pile?

What does your reading pile say about your personality? I had a few days of sickness (like the rest of America) this week where I had some time to stare at my bedside stash of books and contemplate why I read what I read. I don't know if I came up with any profound answers, but it was fun!

Here's a peek:

Saw the movie, loved it! Read the author's story, how he quite his job as a high school English teacher to write. Can't wait to read this! Very nuanced, very emotional, and a love story!!! My perfect kind of book!




I've been studying the Harlequin Special Edition line and loving the heartwarming stories about home, love, and family. I loved this book by Helen Lacey! It takes place in a unique setting--Australia, and is a romance between a responsible, no-nonsense bed-and-breakfast owner who lost her husband and a handsome firefighter...who happens to be nine years younger. It's an RT Reviewers' Choice nominee for best Harlequin Special Edition of 2012, and I can see why. Lacey's latest book was released in January, called His-and-Hers Family. I've got that one, too!  




Okay, I heard so much about this book last year, I had to see what the buzz was about. I'm wondering if I can get through it before someone accidentally tells me the answer to the driving question, is her husband guilty or not?!



This isn't any old edition of Emma...it's annotated...meaning in this case that the original text is on each left page, and explanations, pictures, paintings, etc. of all sorts of interesting period things are on each right page. I've always prided myself at being pretty good at understanding older language without too much help...but trust me, I am completely humbled by this type of reading experience. Also, it weighs in at almost 900 pages!




I've read one or two books by Rachel Gibson before and loved them. This looks cute and fun!



I've been "saving" this book for a time when no one interrupts me , as I do with all of Kleypas's books(probably the reason I haven't read it yet--there is no such time!!). I'm dying to read it but I'd better hurry because Lisa's next book in this series is out next month.

So there you have it. I haven't even got to e-books, but doing this did make me realize I tend to buy paper when I want to study a book carefully or when it is textbook-like (the Emma edition). Now, if only there was time to read all these wonderful books!!

So...what's in YOUR pile?










7 comments:

  1. I really didn't like Gone Girl at all...actually I hated it. Sorry :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Dyanne! I respect your opinion because I know how much you read! So far I'm finding the language very lush. And I love how she set up the book, with chapters alternating between the woman's diary entries and the husband's POV. If you have time to stop back, tell me why you hated it:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't care for the first half at all. The second half was a bit better and the end was just plain twisted.

    I found none of the characters had any redeeming qualities. I felt they were all pretty pitiful!

    I will say she did setup a complex plot and a lot thought had to go into it. I agree with you. I did like how she switched POV.

    If I had to say what I took away from the book it was to be very careful as to how you present yourself to others.

    I know it was on every list this holiday as the "had to get book" but it just didn't work for me. I tried. Fran McCord from NEORWA raved about it. That's why I read it. If she hadn't said how great it was I honestly don't think I'd have finished it.

    I hope you continue to enjoy it. Let me know what you think.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Dyanne. You're right---it was on the "must read" list. And it is a clever set up--I'll let you know!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have a lot of books I've won to read. The problem is time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ella, If only we didn't have to sleep :)

    ReplyDelete